Water Treatment Services
Welcome to Hydro Care:
Since going into operation in 1998, Hydro Care has grown into a significant player in the various fields of water treatment services, chemicals and related equipment in Gauteng, Mpumalanga, the Northern Province, Free State and Swaziland.
As a specialized chemical company, we are in a position to offer expertise in a number of technical areas, including drinking water treatment, boiler- and cooling water treatment, liquid / solid separation and wastewater treatment. Hydro Care is also in the process of registering as a BBBEE Company and will soon be accredited (preliminary certificate and status available on request).
Causes of Water Pollution:
Domestic households, industrial and agricultural practices produce wastewater that can cause pollution of many dams, rivers and ground water.
- Sewage is the term used for wastewater that often contains faeces, urine and laundry waste.
- Sewage disposal is a major problem in developing countries as many people in these areas don’t have access to sanitary conditions and clean water.
- Untreated sewage water in such areas can contaminate the environment and cause diseases such as diarrhoea.
- Sewage is treated in water treatment plants and the waste is often disposed into the sea and rivers. Sewage is mainly biodegradable and most of it is broken down in the environment.
- In developed countries, sewage often causes problems when people flush chemical and pharmaceutical substances down the toilet. When people are ill, sewage often carries harmful viruses and bacteria into the environment causing health problems.
Virtually all types of water pollution are harmful to the health of humans and animals. Water pollution may not damage our health immediately but can be harmful after long term exposure. Different forms of pollutants affect the health of animals in different ways:
- Heavy metals from industrial processes can accumulate in nearby lakes and rivers. These are toxic to marine life such as fish and shellfish, and subsequently to the humans who eat them. Heavy metals can slow development; result in birth defects and some are carcinogenic.
- Industrial waste often contains many toxic compounds that damage the health of aquatic animals and those who eat them. Some of the toxins in industrial waste may only have a mild effect whereas other can be fatal. They can cause immune suppression, reproductive failure or acute poisoning.
- Microbial pollutants from sewage often result in infectious diseases that infect aquatic life and terrestrial life through drinking water. Microbial water pollution is a major problem in the developing world, with diseases such as cholera and typhoid fever being the primary cause of infant mortality.
- Organic matter and nutrients causes an increase in aerobic algae and depletes oxygen from the water column. This causes the suffocation of fish and other aquatic organisms.
- Sulfate particles from acid rain can cause harm the health of marine life in the rivers and lakes it contaminates, and can result in mortality.
- Suspended particles in freshwater reduces the quality of drinking water for humans and the aquatic environment for marine life. Suspended particles can often reduce the amount of sunlight penetrating the water, disrupting the growth of photosynthetic plants and micro-organisms.
If you want to help keep our waters clean, there are many things you can do to help. You can prevent water pollution of nearby rivers and lakes as well as groundwater and drinking water by following some simple guidelines in your everyday life.
- Be careful about what you throw down your sink or toilet. Don't throw paints, oils or other forms of litter down the drain.
- Use environmentally household products, such as washing powder, household cleaning agents and toiletries.
- Take great care not to overuse pesticides and fertilisers. This will prevent runoffs of the material into nearby water sources.
- By having more plants in your garden you are preventing fertiliser, pesticides and contaminated water from running off into nearby water sources.
Be assured of our best service and advice at all times.